Saturday, March 17, 2007

Ubuntu - Linux made easy for everyone

If you are a geek like me - well, you fool around with technology far too much. I remember spending hours setting up a Linux server in my basement a few years back. What did I learn from that? Linux is an operating system, like Windows, but it's much cheaper (often free), and, in some ways, superior. What I learned setting up my Linux box several years ago was that it's difficult, time-consuming, and there isn't that much good software available for Linux.

I'm going to tell you that all that (except maybe the software part) has changed. Ubuntu is a Linux distribution (think of it as a version) that is distributed freely online and comes with fabulous set up tools. The CD image you can download from www.ubuntu.com is also cool because it contains a whole suite of office applications AND you can boot it on just about any PC and run Linux to your heart's content without changing a bit of your precious Windows operating system. In other words, you can boot the Ubuntu CD with almost no hassle and fool around with Linux and then go right back to your expensive, virus-plagued Windows setup whenever you want.

No comments: