Thursday, May 17, 2007

Cnet - one of the great geek resources.

In the very early days of the internet, there were quite a few websites that just had big collections of geekish stuff. You know what I mean - stuff like video card reviews, and shareware downloads, stuff that makes a geek a priceless fountain of technical trivia and tools.

One of the oldest sites devoted to this kind of great information is Cnet. Although it has morphed over the years to have a lot more gadget reviews (after all, that's where the money is), it's still a priceless trove of downloadable files, especially programs. If I'm looking for something obscure, like a game that will run on my Blackberry, or a shareware app that will convert a Powerpoint presentation into a PDF file, this is one of the first places I look.

You'll also find wonderful Q&A stuff in Cnet's forums. My assumption has always been that the devoted users of this site know far more about what's wrong with my computer or gadget than the underpaid, undertrained person on the company's support site - and they will usually answer my questions a lot faster. Next time you need an answer, check out the Cnet forums!

www.cnet.com

No comments: